EVERY Saturday, The Consumer Crew are here to solve your problems.
Mel Hunter will take on readers’ consumer issues, Amanda Cable will give we a best recommendation for shopping your dream home, Maddy Tooke rounds adult a best coupons to save we income and Judge Rinder will tackle your authorised woes.
Jane Hamilton, skill expert
HARRY and Meghan had already been crowned a tip stately trendsetters – and now a new relatives are following conform with their vital arrangements.
Meghan’s explanation that silent Doria is vital with a integrate while they learn to demeanour after baby Archie means they are partial of a housing materialisation – a multi-generational home.
New investigate from eBay reveals 18 per cent of us are vital in a home with 3 or some-more generations underneath one roof.
But while Harry and Meghan have a run of Windsor Castle and atmospheric Frogmore Cottage – that recently had a £3million refurbishment – many of us have humbler abodes.
So here’s how to make it work . . .
1) If we can conduct it, give everybody spaces they can call their own. Allow any family member to adorn to fit their particular taste.
2) Budget permitting, make a many of your space by building a garden room. Or modify a integument or garage to give some-more block footage yet losing your garden.
3) If we don’t have a check to make constructional changes to your property, utilize room dividers in incomparable bedrooms to emanate apart zones for opposite family members. They cost from usually £30.
4) The lavatory is a space each family member needs to use, so safeguard it caters for all ages, heights and mobility. A soppy room with a non-slip building could be a good concede to safeguard that it is suitable for all family members.
5) Maximising storage is pivotal when we have several generations underneath one roof, generally if you’ve all brought security from prior houses. If we have a singular budget, utilize intelligent spaces such as underneath a bed or on tip of freestanding wardrobes. Consider built-in storage.
Buy of a week
WANT to massage shoulders with a new stately parents?
The normal residence cost in Windsor is a large £592,963 yet this one-bed prosaic in Mountbatten Square, in a sought-after stately sentinel nearby a castle, is an affordable £225,000.
A THIRD of home-owners are profitable money to equivocate profitable VAT on home improvements, a startle investigate from a HomeOwners Alliance has found.
The tip forgive for VAT-dodgers was that they could not means alterations if they had to compensate 20 per cent taxation on top.
The Alliance is now campaigning for VAT costs on home improvements to be slashed to 5 per cent so some-more Brits can means a work and to boost Treasury takings.
Find out some-more during https://hoa.org.uk/campaigns/cut-vat-on-extensions.
Deal of a week
TURN off your spending tap.
If you’re striking out on a luxury-look freestanding bath, this 1,700 x 750mm beauty costs usually £319.97 during bathroomtakeaway.com compared to an normal of £700 on a High Street.
Q) LAST Sep we got a minute observant we due £224.26 to a catalog firm.
I didn’t cruise anything of it, as we never had an comment with them and positively would not get into debt. But a week after we got a minute melancholy bailiffs and justice action.
I rang adult and schooled some bar stools had been bought from them regulating my dad’s credit label and my name.
I trust my dad’s partner non-stop a comment in my name, that is temperament fraud.
The organisation will not accept we didn’t open a comment and, nonetheless my father is classification out a payment, a debt will go opposite my credit score. Is there anything we can do to arrange this out? EMILY, Wolverhampton
A) Yes, we are a plant of temperament fraud.
I know if we have selected not to tell a police, generally as your father has staid a debt, yet whoever non-stop this comment yet your accede committed a critical rapist corruption – and we think this is not a initial time they did something like this.
I am not certain this will impact your credit measure because, nonetheless a comment was in your name, your dad’s credit label was stored as a elite remuneration method.
Contact a dual vital credit-rating agents, Equifax and Experian, and see if there is a news about this relating to your name.
If there is and your measure has been reduced, we can make representations including providing association between we and a catalog company.
Often these agencies are reasonable and, in resources like this, will mislay a disastrous report.
Q) ON holiday in India my crony Jane bought trinket from a tradesman who concluded to post it to her home in a UK.
On her lapse from holiday, Jane had a heart conflict and was in sanatorium for many weeks, during that time a bearer left a label observant a motorist was incompetent to broach her parcel.
When she was home and we contacted a courier, eventually they certified they had mislaid a parcel, after initial claiming it had been returned to India.
Now a bearer is refusing to cover a £100 detriment of a items, claiming there is no agreement between them and Jane so she is not authorised for compensation.
Is this true, given they acknowledge losing a parcel? JANET, Watford
A) This is complex, quite given of a general aspects of a transaction.
Most bearer firms make transparent that they are not probable for repairs or detriment of parcels, that is because it costs consumers additional to squeeze word for promulgation costly packages.
Email them, repeating a acknowledgment of a staff member who supposed guilt for a loss, and creation transparent your crony expects a full reinstate or will cruise authorised record and warning amicable media about a firm.
Q) we was sub-letting a pub from a brewery and all was good until we had £5,000 stolen and got into financial difficulty.
The brewery threw me out, claiming they gave me 28 days’ notice even yet we did not accept any letters from them.
They concluded to let me keep my effects in a groundwork until we could pierce them.
But about 3 weeks later, all my things was thrown out – personal belongings, files and records.
I don’t know if it was a brewery or a new sub-letters who did it. Do we have any authorised box opposite a chairman who got absolved of my property? ANDREW, Yorkshire
A) we am really uneasy by this. we simply don’t know how a brewery evicted we yet giving we created notice when it was legally thankful to.
Once we vacated a pub, a brewery had a authorised avocation to give we a reasonable event to collect your effects and was positively not authorised to get absolved of your things yet revelation you.
You might positively have a authorised box opposite a brewery. This is expected to be a clever one unless it can infer we refused to act pretty and it gave we a satisfactory possibility to take your stuff.
It will be adult to a brewery to infer it was rightly entitled to dispose of your things yet your consent.
Write it a clever letter, inventory what is blank and creation transparent we design remuneration for all a equipment that are gone.
If it refuses to rivet with you, afterwards we might have to emanate record in a Small Claims Court.
Mel Hunter, Reader’s champion
Q) LAST summer we bought a fridge freezer from Currys, explaining it was to reinstate a one we keep in a garage.
They delivered and commissioned it. Just before Christmas we beheld that a food in a freezer had started to defrost.
Currys told us that indication should not have been put in an outbuilding. We had not been suggested of this by a partner when we bought it.
We were told we had been mis-sold a product and to go behind to a store for a replacement.
We suspicion a store was classification it out yet when we chased again 6 weeks after we were told we wouldn’t get a deputy as a sales partner claimed that he had given us a scold advice.
My probity has been called into doubt and we have a £270 fridge freezer that we can’t use. JAN MILES, Brighton
A) You were understandably cheesed off that your apparatus unsuccessful after usually a few months.
Currys claimed we should have found out from a website that a object isn’t to be used in an outbuilding.
However, we disagree that given we bought a object in store, we should have been entirely sensitive by a sales assistant.
With me on a case, Currys did determine to reinstate you, so we can get a some-more suitable appliance.
Q) SINCE we altered to Solarplicity in May 2018 we have been incompetent to register my electricity readings online.
Solarplicity told me to hit them whenever we attempted to register a readings, that we have been perplexing to do for months yet any success.
we have left readings by write yet still have not been billed for my electricity. JULIE MCTEER, Hartlepool
A) Solarplicity could have been most some-more useful here, assisting we arrange out a problem before we got involved.
However, a categorical emanate appears to be that your prior retailer had purebred a wrong form of scale with a inhabitant database.
A Solarplicity orator told me: “This meant a attention never supposed a patron readings as they were for a wrong form of scale and so we could not check her.
“We managed to get these sum altered and now all bills have been issued.”
- Do we have a consumer issue? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Maddy Tooke, Coupon Queen
My tip 5 freebies this week
- New Topcashback.co.uk members get £15 giveaway spend during eBay when signing adult by bit.ly/15tcbebay. Expires May 20.
- Get a giveaway lipstick of your choice from MAC when we lapse 6 of a dull wrapping containers. See bit.ly/backtomacfree.
- Free tennis sessions and coaching, accessible May 18-19, Jul 20-21 and Sep 28-29. Book during bit.ly/freetennislta.
- Free Rituals’ Magic Touch physique cream representation from Debenhams for Beauty Club members. Just uncover your Beauty Club label during a incense counter.
- Choose from a operation of giveaway Open University courses. See bit.ly/openunifree
Top 10 deals
- Get £10 off orders over £50 from Arena Flowers with formula 10OFF50AFF. Valid currently only. See bit.ly/10off50flowers.
- Save 10 per cent on Groupon Local deals and getaways. Get formula during bit.ly/10offgrouponlocal. Valid currently only.
- Get 20 per cent off JD Williams orders over £50 and wow in sizes 10-32 for less. Use formula MORE3. Expires Jun 1. See bit.ly/20jdwilliams.
- Save 20 per cent on orders from Mountain Warehouse with code EXTRA20 from Vouchercloud.com. See bit.ly/20offmountainwarehouse. Expires May 23
- Save 15 per cent on online Goldsmiths orders with singular Vouchercodes formula from bit.ly/15offgoldsmiths. Expires May 19.
- At Paperchase, save £5 on orders over £25 with formula MAYFIVE or save £10 on orders over £50 with formula MAYTEN. Offer expires Tuesday. See bit.ly/paperchasediscount.
- Buy one categorical course, get a second for £1 during Prezzo until May 23. Use in-restaurant document from bit.ly/prezzo1main.
- Get 25 per cent off The Works orders over £10 with formula SPRING25 from Vouchercodes.co.uk. Ends May 30. See bit.ly/25theworks.
- Get giveaway L’Occitane The Love Collection gift, value £21.50, with orders over £50 until May 31 with formula AVC139. See bit.ly/freeloccitanegift.
- Buy one get one half cost during The Body Shop. Use formula 19812 during a checkout. Expires May 24 during 9am. See bit.ly/halfpricehairbodyshop.